Saturday, February 23, 2013

How To Unshrink Clothes Using Vinegar? Don't do it!

Being a larger than average fella, I find it immensely frustrating when my t-shirts shrink in the wash and / or dryer. After some researching online I found various different videos and guides saying that I could un-shrink my clothes by;

1 - soaking them in distilled vinegar,

2 - putting them in sealed ziplock bags for 30 mins,

3 - washing them on hot (with laundry powder)

4 - and then tumble-drying them on hot.

The logic behind this was that the vinegar reacts with the glucose found in the cotton t-shirts, and when subjected to heat it expands, thus expanding and effectively un-shrinking the shirt.

I'm here to tell you from experience, don't do it! I'm afraid that despite the rather convincing videos and amateur articles out there, it's a hoax, and a load of quasi-scientific nonsense. I did this and just shrunk the bejesus out of my t-shirts even further, to my immense annoyance.

Spare yourself the expense, effort and nuisance of trying this method out, because it simply doesn't work.

I am now rewashing my t-shirts cold, and am just going to have to unstretch them the old-fashioned way - by letting them hang-dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment