Friday, August 20, 2010

Gratitude

I am so thankful to have been raised in such a great family. Me and my Dad are very close and spend lots of time together, my Mum is the sweetest most unconditionally loving person I have ever known, and my brother is one of my best friends and was best man at my wedding.

I am also so very thankful for my wife, who makes me laugh every day, and is always devoted and affectionate, and loves me with her whole heart, and for my baby son, who brings sheer raw joy like I've never known with his wide gleeful smile, and his coos and chuckles.

It's a privilege to be part of a church family too. Being a Christian is like a passport to finding a welcome in whatever town I find myself in, whether in the UK or the US. There is always a church, and almost always a warm greeting, cup of tea and conversation.

How anyone could ever be abusive to their child is utterly beyond me, although I suppose I haven't been on the receiving end of it in my life and so don't have a warped view of parenthood. 'Hurt people hurt people', is a true saying, and my life so far has been no bed of roses, dealing with anxiety attacks, depression and all that for most of it, but if it came down to a choice between having none of the medical issues I have to deal with, or having none of the family I have been blessed with, I wouldn't have a second's hesitation in choosing to have my family every time. The good stuff definitely outweighs the bad stuff, by a long long shot.

What a terrible thing it must be to be that person who continually sabotages themselves, and their relationships with family members. It must be a bitter pill to swallow. I really hope I never do anything to wreck the wonderful thing that is my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment