Monday, August 30, 2010

Confession #1

Sometime when I was 18-19ish I made a decision which has affected my life ever since. That decision was to decide that it's ok to lose my temper if someone repeat offends enough times in a particular way.
I have always found it hard to handle when someone says they will do something, then consistently over several months continues to not, no matter how many times they re-iterate that they will. After a while I start losing patience in these situations, and invariably end up losing my temper with the offending party one way or another.

It was with my mum where I made the decision to lose my temper 'justly' over a fairly petty issue, and that has stuck with me since. It's been I think nearly 10 years since that, and now I realise that this is actually not OK. That question I asked myself internally was something like 'if someone keeps saying they will do something, and consistently not, after how many times is it ok to explode at them?'. I answered myself 'quite a few', but I think now that answer (when it comes to my family and loved ones) needs to be zero.

Matthew 1821Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?"  22Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

No comments:

Post a Comment