Wednesday, March 10, 2010

TV and ambition

TV has raised us to believe we will all grow up to be movie stars, rock gods, millionaires, CEO's, but almost none of us will. Every happy-go-lucky film I would watch as a kid had a happy ending, always involving 'all my dreams come true'. Is this strange seed that was planted in the back of our minds when we were kids the lie that motivates us to learn, achieve and develop?

All my life I have never been able to shake the desperate desire to be a successful musician, to be signed to a record label, creating music for a living. Is that desire there because I want people to love me? Because I feel like it's my birthright to have my every dream come true, every ambition fulfilled? Is it some God-given desire driving me towards some kind of destiny, or some hollywood-implanted brainwashing I underwent (and am still undergoing) every time I watch a movie? It's probably the latter.

I don't think there's anything wrong with dreams, ambitions, or life goals, but is it really our birthright? Have I been deprived of anything? I wonder if I spend my whole life un-signed and never fulfilling that particular hope, if I will be filled with regret when I get old?

No comments:

Post a Comment