Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Rare Version of Sherlock S3E1 The Empty Hearse!

OK, here's a random easter egg for you... There are two versions of an episode of Sherlock!

Most of the universe watched Sherlock Season 3 Episode 1 on New Years Day this year (2014). The episode was called The Empty Hearse.

Did you record it live from the tv in the UK with YouView, TiVo or something similar? If so, you have the unique version of it!

As a writer myself, I'm a bit of a story nerd, and insist on watching subtitles and listening intently to the dialogue so I catch all the subtle references and can appreciate the story as a whole with all its intricacies. That is how, on my second watch of it I noticed it.

In the scene beneath parliament, where John and Sherlock are in the carriage trying to diffuse the bomb, there's a moment where Sherlock clearly says 'Ill just switch it off...' clear as a bell, at the moment he is supposed to have switched it off.

I was over at a mates house tonight and we watched it on iplayer, and lo and behold, that line was no longer there!! When I got home I checked the iplayer version against my YouView recorded version, and yes, it was present in the recorded version and not the other!

My guess is, Benedict Cumberbatch just said the line while they were filming the scene and it was meant to be an outtake, but it somehow got left in. Then when it went live, the BBC spotted it, and immediately modified the version that was to go live. It probably wont be on the dvd or blu ray releases either, when they are released, presumably later this year.

I dont know if there are any other differences between the two versions, but if there are, add a comment! Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment